Working for Intellect
At Intellect, we love teamwork and collaboration. We are a small but incredibly productive, independent publishing house – individual autonomy and responsibility is very important here. Each member of our team takes ownership of their business activity and is expected to deliver on that activity.
In return, we all enjoy a respectful and harmonious office environment.
Please take a look at our values below and consider if they align with yours:
- Passion for encouraging the communication of ideas
- Commitment to learn from mistakes and strive for excellence
- Desire to foster honesty, integrity and optimism
- Spirit of cooperation and teamwork for creativity and energy
- Respect for all opinions and an openness to other ways of thinking
- Trust in a diversity of experience and perspectives.
Rewards and recognition
Our reward and recognition offering helps us to retain and motivate our people. You will be working in a talented and highly productive environment. Our benefits include:
- Flexible hours for that all-important work/life balance
- Generous paid holiday including a day off for your birthday
- Company pension scheme
- Free gym membership
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Opportunity to do paid voluntary work
We are proud of the value we place on individuality; we want you to be the real you at work and maximise your potential. At Intellect, you’ll be working with a committed team, working with authors to get their ideas out there!
At Intellect, we strive to nurture fresh thinking in the arts, media and creative industries and we are committed to serving our authors. If you agree with our mission, we would love to hear from you. You will find all our current vacancies below. We value a diverse workforce and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
No current vacancies
We offer a three-month paid, graduate intern scheme on an on-going basis to those graduates hoping to gain an insight into the publishing industry. We pay the living wage for all our interns.
We invest in your growth and development, and provide opportunities for you to learn new skills and take on responsibilities and projects. You will be assigned a mentor and have the opportunity to work both independently and as part of a team.
At the successful completion of your placement, we will happily provide you with a reference to further enhance your career development. We hope that your time spent with us will be enjoyable and fruitful.
To give you an idea of what you might be doing during your internship, here are a few of the tasks that previous interns have done:
- Updating databases/information
- Mail outs
- Website and social media
- (Re)organising and filing
- Participate in staff meetings
This is just an example of the type of things you might be doing - you probably won't do all of these and often new tasks will arise on a day-to-day basis (as is the nature of publishing). There will, inevitably, be some administrative tasks, which, although slightly tedious at times, are essential to the running of a small business like Intellect. You will have a variety of tasks to complete over your three-month work period.
A list of learning objectives will be developed with your line manager upon your arrival. In addition to these department-specific skills, Intellect strives to allow interns to achieve the following broad learning objectives:
- Consistency: checking and maintaining consistency is a vital skill in publishing. Interns will develop an eye for detail and gain skills in checking for and maintaining consistency.
- Time management: interns will be given the opportunity to balance their own workload and prioritize tasks accordingly.
- Project management/finishing skills: interns will be given the opportunity to take ownership of a project and see it through from start to finish.
Here’s what some of our previous interns have said:
'It has been a privilege to work in a company that is not all about profit and where there seems to be a genuine passion and motivation to achieve on a personal as well as a business level.'
'...a very relaxed and enjoyable experience. I have loved every aspect of the internship and feel that the (time has) gone by far too quickly.'
'The people here at Intellect are just wonderful. I've loved meeting so many warm, intelligent people all under one roof.'
'The trust and support I received at Intellect allowed me to constantly develop.'
Our scheme is currently full until September 2020 but if you wish to express your interest in our scheme or you would like any advice on getting into publishing, please contact our Office Manager, Heather Robinson on email@example.com
Policy for agencies
At Intellect, we have a commitment to sourcing our people directly, and as such we do not accept speculative CVs from agencies.