Data Dating (Book)
Love, Technology, Desire
Organized around ten chapters and works of new media art, the collection offers an extensive critical analysis of technologized romance – and other emotional relations – as well as provides an insight into the codification, execution, deployment and evolution of the patterns of togetherness in the so-called Tamagotchi era. 45 col. photographs.
Data Dating is a collection of ten academic essays accompanied by works of media art that provide a comprehensive insight into the construction of love and its practices in the time of digitally mediated relationships. The essays come from recognized researchers in the field of media and cultural studies.
Ania Malinowska is a culture theorist, author and professor in media and cultural studies at the University of Silesia in Poland. She has published widely on media semiotics and technologically constructed relationships.
Valentina Peri is an art curator and cultural anthropologist with expertise in new media and digital art. She runs Galerie Charlot with locations in Paris and Tel Aviv, where she exhibits projects focused on new media art. She is also a co-founder (with curator Anne Roquigny) of SALOON Paris, an international network for women working in the art scene.
List of Figures
Introduction: Dating (the) Data and Other Intimacies
Ania Malinowska and Valentina Peri
1. WIRED LIMERENCE (feat. Deep Love by Antoine Schmitt)
Technology, Commerce and the Intimacy Revolution
2. LOVE INFO-STRUCTURES (feat. Glaciers by Zach Gage)
Romance in a Time of Dark Data
3. MEDIATED MATCHMAKING (feat. A Truly Magical Moment by Adam Basanta)
Fast Love. Temporalities of Digitized Togetherness
4. EMOTIONS WITH THE MACHINE (feat. Ashley Madison Angels at Work by !Mediengruppe Bitnik)
‘Emotoys’: Ethics, Emotions and Empathic Technologies
Andrew McStay and Gilad Rosner
5. SELF-FASHIONING DESIRE (feat. Kill Your Darlings by Jeroen van Loon)
The Greatest Love of All: Recognition, Self-Love and the Imaging of Desire
Derek Conrad Murray
6. DIGITAL ONSCENITIES (feat. Peeping Tom (Porn Version) by Thomas Israel)
The New Onscenity. Navigating Digital Desires in the Twenty First Century Pornoscape
7. LIBIDINAL TECHNO-SCAPES (Webcam Venus by Addie Wagenknecht and Pablo Garcia)
The Proxemics of Digital Intimacy
8. TOUCHLESS EMBRACES (feat. VR Hug by Tom Galle and Moises Sanabria)
Virtual Hugs and the Crises of Touch
9. SOUNDS OF FEELING (feat. Digital Synaesthetic E.E.G. Kiss by Karen Lancel and Hermen Maat)
I Can Hear Your Feelings
10. INTERFACES OF EMOTIONAL SURVEILLANCE (feat. Face Messenger by Tom Galle and John Yuyi)
Kristin Veel and Nanna Bonde Thylstrup
Notes on Contributors