The Art and Science of Screenwriting (Book)
In an age where many see screenwriters as the storytellers of the new century, this book provides the framework for you to write a great screenplay. It goes beyond the concerns of act structure and the merits of story-driven – as opposed to character-driven – screenplays to tackle the real complexities of writing a compelling screenplay.
- AvailablePaperback9781841509655224 pagesList Price: GBP 23.95 Add to basket
This second edition contains:
• the different layouts for film, television, documentary and corporate screenplays
• a detailed analysis of what is required from a premise, an outline, a step outline, a treatment and a first draft
• a simple stage by stage guide to the inevitable re-write
• tips on finding an agent.
This new approach to writing for film and television covers everything from finding an idea to writing a finished screenplay. The author's framework, 'A Creative Matrix', brings together all the elements of screenplay writing - from story, character, theme, and dramatic structure to plot, genre, tone and style in an understandable way that is easy to follow. His analysis includes illustrating what comprises a good thriller, identifying the different types of sit-com, and showing the qualities of a screen romance that both works and convinces.
The author uses examples from across European, American and World Cinema, as well as television, and this revised edition now contains a comprehensive index.